8.22.2010

The Birthday Massacre featuring Denver After Dark...

Gregg and I were lucky enough to get in a small vacation this weekend. We went up to Colorado Springs/Denver. Gregg and I went to Colorado Springs for our Anniversary last year and it was beautiful. I found out that The Birthday Massacre was playing in Denver awhile back so I asked Gregg if we could plan a trip up to Colorado for the weekend for the show. He was super nice about it and gave me 3 and a half whole days in Colorado!

We left on Thursday night and nothing was all that exciting for the entire trip, except for Friday for the show. We were supposed to meet up with a former friend, but we were very bad friends and didn't. But to be fair, I ended up not feeling great on Saturday and we left today so we sort of ran out of time.

So, as far as things to mention, there's not much. The hotel we stayed at was great, and I am going to write them a review, once I get done here, and Colorado Springs offers everything we're missing out on being in New Mexico rather than Minnesota, plus a whole lot more, so we ate well!

Friday we drove up to Denver which is about an hour away from Colorado Springs. I had expected Denver to be gross and run-down and for the whole thing to be pretty unpleasant, but after deciding to get out of the horrible traffic on I 25 we decided to drive in town to get to the venue where the concert was at. That was the first time I got excited for Denver. That place is exciting!

The first side street we came to, we drove past this enormous park where there were TONS of people out running, riding bikes, playing volleyball, rollerblading, walking their dogs, etc. I'd never seen so many people out in public just enjoying themselves without worrying that they were going to be in danger. I doubt any normal person worries that they'll be in danger, but I'm a little more paranoid than a normal person, so I would have been, except that everyone seemed so happy, so I think I would have put that aside to enjoy myself too.

When we sort of got to our destination, we parked in this parking garage in a place called Writer's Square. This place was magical! There were fun looking businesses, lots of cute girls and guys...people walking, people on bikes, people holding hands and being happy and posing for pictures. It was like a commercial for HP printers or Kodak cameras or something. So we walked a bunch of blocks to the theater where the show was going to happen. People everywhere had bikes like mine. I was so excited and wished I had my bike to share its attractiveness with the other attractive bike owners.

I know, weird.

Anyway, the line was short for The Birthday Massacre, but I was like the 3rd cutest girl there for awhile, but then a girl I called Hooks showed up with a bunch of other foxy girls, so I lost. BTW I called her Hooks because she was dressed like a Hooker. But she was super cute anyway. I got super excited cos The Birthday Massacre's tour bus was parked right outside. So much fun. That was the closest I have ever been to a real Canadian! We waited in line outside for much longer than I would have liked, but oh well.

Gregg and I hit up the bar first thing, which is totally out of character for me, but Gregg needed to spend a minimum of $10 for the credit card machine, so I got one anyway. The first two bands were lame, but the second band's bass and drums were so loud, I could feel it vibrate in my teeth. Awesome! That is until TBM came on. Oh my GOD! I have NEVER felt bass vibration in my trachea! I could hardly speak it was so huge! I LOVED it. Chibi was cute, and I got a few videos, but the sound really sucks on them thanks mostly to the GIGANTIC bass.

Anyway, after the show the band did a meet and greet at the merch table, but Gregg and I skipped out because my feet were killing me and we still had to walk a mile back to the parking garage.

That's when I saw Writer's Square after dark! Holy fun time! These really awesome guys that looked like they were having a BLAST doing their jobs, were riding bike taxis! They had HUGE grins on their faces as they'd drive bitchy drunk girls across the square! I loved them! We must have passed three or four clubs/parties. Some were really classy and dressy and others were more casual and loud, but it was BEAUTIFUL! I've never wanted to be a part of humanity more than at that moment.

Oh my gosh! It was just magical. I now understand why former Wide Receiver for the Denver Broncos, Lionel Taylor always gets excited when we mention Denver! I either need to move to Colorado, or visit all the time!

We were supposed to go to the zoo on Saturday, but I got a little sick, and we went to the mall where Gregg bought me the CUTEST raccoon hat and a gorgeous blue top. We went home (to our hotel) after I took the first Imitrex because I felt like I was going to collapse, and then we went to see Scott Pilgrim again after I felt better.

To end the trip, we went to the most awesome miniature golf course I've ever been to and we have plans to go back sometime with Wesley. I really really really want Amanda Hocking, author of the My Blood Approves series and Eric J. Goldman Amanda's gay roommate and my best male friend aside from Gregg and my cat to go with too so that I can share the magic. Also, any of my other awesome friends are invited! Although, I worry that everyone will be like, "this is super lame. I've done WAY more interesting and fun things than this!" But I never have, so I want to share.

So friends, Amanda, Eric, Jenna, Tiffany, Bronson, etc. feel free to make time to come to Colorado with me sometime. I will love to share it with you and would hope that your time had would be just as great as mine and in a fantasy world you would ALL come to live there too!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you had fun! I'm going to come visit you, soon-ish.

    I'm thinking January or February. This isn't a fake I'll come visit you, like most years, because now I can actually afford things.

    If you want to go to Colorado when we visit, that'd be neat. If you don't, that'd be neat to. I miss you guys, and I especially missed you this week because it was an almost-Clique reunion.

    At any rate, I'm glad you had fun, and I can't wait to see you! (Even though I will be waiting... like 4-5 months... )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, your trip sounds like it was a blast (besides all the walking and feeling sick, that is)! It's been so long since I've been to a concert, but I agree with you - I think it's fun when bands rock so hard you can feel it in your teeth/throat, haha! And I honestly LOL'd at your "Hooks" story. I bet you were still the cutest girl there, cuz you're Valerie! :)

    I agree with Amanda's comment - I was bummed it couldn't be a 100% complete Clique reunion. I would love to come visit you and Gregg, whether in New Mexico or Colorado or wherever! Could I bring Matthew too? We will definitely have to plan a time to visit (it's just difficult since we've made so many big purchases lately and are saving for the wedding) - maybe we could aim for the same time Amanda is, though!

    Well, I love you and miss you and didn't know you had this blog til now, so yay! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to you visiting with us Pete - if you are really interested in going the same time as us, and you're schedule doesn't allow a Jan/Feb visit, let me know what does work with you. My schedule is really open now. So... let me know if that is something you can feasibly do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, of course you can bring Matthew! My mom says if anyone needs a place to stay, she has an extra room. She's only about 15 minutes away from me (because of traffic) But I'd say it's only about 4 miles. :) We also have an extra room, but only an inflatable mattress, and we could probably borrow my mom's too. For maximum sleeping room! :)

    ReplyDelete